Are you ready to start your journey to become a Nursing Facility Administrator? There are certain minimum requirements that need to be met to be eligible to apply.
Requirements for Licensing
I. Legal Basis:
Louisiana Law requires that any person serving as a nursing facility administrator must be duly licensed by the Board of Examiners of Nursing Facility Administrators. It is a misdemeanor to represent oneself or to allow oneself to be represented as an Administrator unless that person has a current Louisiana license.
II. Eligibility: In order to be licensed, an applicant must meet specific requirements:
• U.S. Citizenship, or has duly declared their intention of becoming a citizen of the U.S.
• Physically & mentally healthy enough to direct a nursing facility
• At Least 21 years of age
• Good moral character-no conviction of a felony
Education: Effective January 1, 2012
No person shall be admitted to or be permitted to take an examination for licensing as a Nursing Facility Administrator unless he shall first submitted evidence satisfactory to the Board that he(she): has successfully completed a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institute of higher learning.
• Pass the (1) NAB - CORE of Knowledge exam with a scale score of at least 113 and the (2) NAB - Line of Service (NHA) exam with a scale score of at least 113. The National Nursing Facility Administrators Licensing Examination is administered by PSI and accessed by NAB (nabweb.org).
• Pass the State Standards Examination with a score of at least 23 out of 30. The Louisiana State Standards Examination is be administered by The Board of Examiners of Nursing Facility Administrators.
• Waivers are conducted only after the AIT has passed both the state and NAB tests.
• If an applicant has a degree in the Health Care Administration that includes an approved internship by LABENFA, he/she may qualify for an AIT waiver.
• An Assistant Administrator or Director of Nurses may apply for a full or partial waiver; provided such applicant has been employed, full time, in that position for at least three years within the last five years in a Medicare/Medicaid nursing facility.
• A previously licensed Louisiana administrator may request a full or partial AIT waiver provided his/her license has not lapsed in Louisiana for more than three (3) years.
• The application fee is $600.00. The Board staff may grant approval for applicant to sit for exams and begin the training process after the completed, notarized application is accepted. This fee is non-refundable after the application has been presented to The Board.
• The LABENFA NAB Review Seminars are scheduled quarterly through the office. The cost of the LABENFA NAB two-day Seminar is $450.00.
• After receiving approval notice from the Board office to sit for exams, a fee of $120.00 is paid to the Board (LABENFA) to cover the cost of the State Standards Examination and an additional fee of $150.00 for any necessary re-take of the State Standards Examination. An additional fee of $425.00 -$475.00 (depending if you schedule them at the same time or not) must be paid to NAB to for the two NAB tests.
• If you are seeking reciprocity from another state, there is an additional fee of $125.00.
• After completing all requirements for licensing, the applicant pays the initial registration fee of $495.00.
• Prices subject to change.
III. Verification of Student Loan Status:
Applicant shall receive a Verification of Student Loan form (BE-5F) for submission to the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA). Complete and sign the form and return to LABENFA with your application. LABENFA will submit the form to OSFA for verification.
IV. Criminal Background Check:
Completed CBC package (R.S. 37:2505.1) to LABENFA office for fingerprint submission to the Louisiana State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the FBI at applicant’s expense. IMPORTANT - DO NOT DELAY. IMPORTANT - DO NOT DELAY. The only location we are linked for electronic fingerprinting is the LA State Police, 7919 Independence Blvd. Baton Rouge, LA 70806 and results are usually received within two (2) weeks). LABENFA receipt of your fingerprinted cards and money order may take four to six months or longer after submission to LA State police. Your NFA License will not be issued until results are approved by the Board.
V. NAB Review Seminar:
The Board conducts a mandatory NAB Review Seminar to help prepare applicants for the national examinations. Seminars are scheduled quarterly. Call the Board office for exact dates. Each candidate shall be required to take a NAB Review Seminar provided/approved by LABENFA within 60 days prior to taking the NAB Nursing Home Administrators Licensing Exams.
Any candidate that does not successfully pass the NAB Nursing Home Administrators Licensing Exams shall be required to retake a LABENFA approved seminar prior to re-taking the NAB Nursing Home Administrators Licensing Exam.
VI. Application Packet:
If you wish to apply for licensing, send $100.00 to this office for an application packet that includes necessary materials for initial application or call the office.
Completed applications received less than 10 days of a Board meeting will be presented at the next quarterly meeting. Call Board office for exact dates.
VIII. Waiver Requests:
Requests for waivers accepted during application submittal only. If you wish to request waivers, please contact the office for qualifications and additional information.
IX. Time Frame:
Applicants must complete licensure process within 24 months from approved initial application.
If you meet these requirements and interested in getting started or have any questions, please contact our office at 225-295-8571.